How to help your child at home
Our topic this term is Stone Age. You can find more information here:
In Science this term, we will be looking at Rocks.
Look, Cover, Write, Check
1. Look at the spelling word
2. Cover the work with your hand
3. Write the word
4. Uncover the word and check you have spelt it correctly
Make it fun!
Choose some cheerful coloured pencils and copy the words out in rainbow writing.
Try putting the words into sentences to make sure your child understands what they mean and how to use them.
Sing your spellings
Does your child like music? Why not sing the spellings along to a favourite tune?
Find some free ebooks at Oxford Owl- Click Here
READING: Whilst it is important to listen to your child read, at this age, it is also important to be questioning your child's understanding. Here are a list of questions you could use to ask your child as they are reading:
- What do you remember so far?
- What do you think might happen next?
- Who are the key characters in the book?
- Why is (character X) feeling that way?
- Why did the author use (word X) and why?
- Can you find some amazing adjectives/verbs/adverbs?
- Why do you think the character did that?
- What other stories have you read that are similar?
- What period is the story set in and why do you think that?
EAL resources from Flash Academy
All about EAL
Activate your imagination
The world around us